Head of Facilities Management
Empiric Student Property is one of the most innovative and fast-growing companies in the student residential sector. The internally managed UK REIT provides premium accommodation for over 8,000 students in university towns and cities across the UK. In order to retain the best student experience, Empiric launched their own management platform, Hello Student, with the aim of connecting students to assets through one brand and one high quality approach to management.
To assist in the smooth running of the existing portfolio and to help manage the growth of Hello Student Management Ltd, Empiric are recruiting for a Head of Facilities Management.
The Head of Facilities Management is a new role, responsible for setting the Facilities management strategy and direction needed to support the business, including leadership management of the internal Facilities Management teams and overall responsibility for the successful delivery of facilities services across the portfolio.
This London based role will work alongside both the operations team, to create an integrated accommodation service for the students, as well as key central services support functions including HR, IT and Finance.
- To develop an infrastructure for facilities management to drive process and efficiency improvements and implement best practices that provide the business with a sector leading service.
- To bring structure and leadership to the internal facilities management team operations.
- To ensure the business is statutorily compliant and risks mitigated with management, including updating of the businesses continuity plans.
- To plan for and provide oversight for new locations as they come on stream working with the Company’s development teams.
- To develop a procurement strategy that drives best value.
- To work with the operations team to drive and deliver excellent customer service.
- To own the external relationships with the selected external providers.
- Accountable for the delivery of Health, Safety and Environmental compliance within the business to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of colleagues and students and to ensure statutory compliance as well as minimise risks and costs to the business.
- To contribute to business and financial planning and the regular review and reporting of progress against the plans throughout the year.
Experience and Skills Expected:
To be considered you will already have:
- Senior facilities management experience with a track record of delivering business benefits within multi-site retail, hospitality or student accommodation environments.
- Strong stakeholder management and communication skills to enable you to influence at all levels across the business.
- Communication skills to translate complex technical terms to senior management teams.
- Experience reporting to either senior management and / or board level.
- Experience of leading and developing a UK wide team.
- Experience of driving significant improvements in efficiency.
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- Experience including the planning of, and oversight of, projects including major capital and maintenance projects within limited windows of opportunity.
- A can-do approach and a passion for continuous improvement.
- The ability to work in and support a matrix management structure.
Skills: Knowledge: Experience:
- Experience of an in-sourced model for the provision of Facilities Management i.e. operating in a client-side role and dealing with tenants.
- Commercial acumen to drive best practice and full governance compliance in facilities management.
- Be a proven team leader and people developer.
- Able to develop and implement policies, procedures and best practice.
- Knowledge of relevant property legislation, including a strong awareness of health, safety and statutory compliance requirements.
- Complex problem-solving skills.
- Extensive contract management experience.
- Knowledge of sustainability and energy management.
- Systematic approach to monitoring and evaluating business processes and the
ability to convey information to a range of audiences in an accessible form.
- To be able to project and programme management experience and skills.
- Budget control and forecasting skills.
- Highly effective user of IT applications
- Happy to travel within the UK
- Degree or equivalent qualification in relevant field of Facilities or Real Estate Management