Head of Operations
Head of Operations – London WC1
£47,000 – £54,000 depending on experience
Sotheby’s Institute of Art–London is seeking a Head of Operations who will report to the CEO, and provide strategic and practical oversight of all aspects of the Institute’s London premises. The role encompasses accountability for the full range of elements, including strategic space planning, landlord relations and contractor management, customer service and front office operations, hard and soft facilities management and compliance.
The role demands the highest standards of service to customers, both internal and external, and operates as a member of the senior management team. In addition, the appointee will require a commercial and revenue-generation outlook.
Sotheby’s Institute of Art - London is situated in Bedford Square, built between 1775 and 1783, one of the best preserved Georgian squares in London.
The Institute was founded in 1969 and is among the world’s leading postgraduate level institutions offering Master’s degrees and other courses covering such areas as Art Business, Fine and Decorative Art and Design, and Modern and Contemporary Asian Art. We have been an affiliated institution of The University of Manchester for 21 years, who validate our programmes in London.
The appointee’s responsibilities will include:
- Manage the Institute’s space planning at strategic and operational levels, and explore and promote related income generation opportunities for the Institute
- Enhance the efficiency of the operation and usage of the Institute’s property so as to meet and exceed budgetary targets
- Lead our relations with landlords, surveyors and professional advisors to meet our property needs within listed buildings requirements
- Lead the Facilities team so that all operational aspects of the Institute’s premises are actively managed at all times to ensure full, comfortable and safe availability to users whenever required
- Manage the maintenance, cleaning, security and safety & first-aid provision of the Institute’s estate
- Act as a primary key-holder to buildings and provide 24-hour response when any action is required
- Work with all departments on the forward planning of space, with clear communication channels between Facilities and all other departments within the Institute
- Lead the running and performance of the Front Office, to ensure the delivery of outstanding service to current and potential stakeholders of the Institute
- Manage the handling and fulfilment of all operations-related requests by staff and students
- Ensure that risk assessments are undertaken as required and health & safety procedures are adhered to, and that the Institute meets its obligations under applicable regulations
- Control all aspects of property-related expenditure through the institute’s financial control processes
Experience and Skills
This position plays a key leadership role at the Institute in respect of customer service internally and to external users and prospects of the Institute. A professional presence with colleagues, students and visitors is therefore essential.
The successful candidate must have a strong dual skill-set both strategically and operationally, and must:
- have seasoned experience in the management of high quality premises and all associated facilities
- possess superior interpersonal, and spoken and written communication skills
- have the ability to work independently, flexibly and collaboratively with senior management peers, staff and faculty, communicating effectively with these different constituencies
- be highly self-motivated, responsive and results-oriented, and possess excellent leadership skills with a focus on outstanding professionalism and customer service
- have fluent Microsoft Office skills, including advanced Excel
- be accomplished in budget and works planning and control
- demonstrate the proven ability to manage under pressure and meet deadlines, analyse options and take the appropriate action.
Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree or a property-related qualification and substantial experience of managing a diverse group of staff and contractors.
Effectiveness in the role will require the appointee to be able to work flexible hours as need arises e.g. attending on-call as needed, staying late to complete urgent work.
Experience of the higher education sector and an interest in the art world is desirable.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com, explaining concisely your suitability for the role. Where appropriate please indicate current remuneration and notice period. Review of applications will begin immediately, and preliminary interviews are expected to take place w/c 23rd April.
Apply for Head of Operations
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Facilities management (main) Director / Head / VP jobs in Private sector
- Building development Director / Head / VP jobs in Private sector
- Contracts, projects, bids Director / Head / VP jobs in Private sector
- Engineering, maintenance Director / Head / VP jobs in Private sector
- Estates, property Director / Head / VP jobs in Private sector