Estates and FM Manager
4 days left
- Full Time
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation.
The recruiting partner is the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).
STFC is one of Europe’s largest science research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology. STFC is now part of the newly formed UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), which aims to ensure that the UK maintains our world-leading research and innovation position.
We hold the Investor in People Gold accreditation and offer a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links.
The STFC Estates and Facilities Management (FM) department is responsible for the development of our three principal campuses; the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire, the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) in Oxfordshire, and UK Astronomy Technology Centre, Edinburgh, as well as some other scientific sites and facilities.
About the role
We now have an excellent opportunity for an Estates and FM Manager, who will be a member of the senior estates management team. The role is accountable for the efficient and effective operational management of Daresbury Laboratory and the UK Astronomy Technology Centre, Edinburgh.
You will be responsible for maintaining a safe, secure and resilient working environment for STFC operations, staff and visitors. Working in close collaboration and maintaining highly productive relationships with key staff, including department directors and stakeholders.
Further responsibilities include:
- synthesising the future demand for operational space and asset development plans into the Corporate Estates and Facilities Strategy and maintain site specific master plans, 5 year capital plans and a consolidated annual business plan
- being accountable for the annual budget, managing expenditure within agreed parameters. (current budget c£14m
- creating and sustain strategic relationships with JV partners and external organisations to ensure the best interests of STFC
- managing the strategy and operational delivery of ‘soft FM’ services, for example; Catering, cleaning, accommodation, security, logistics
- ensuring appropriate risk management strategies and systems are in place to manage statutory and policy compliance risks effectively; managing the Health and Safety risks to ensure best practice
- management of the maintenance, small works and site infrastructure development teams ensuring resources are available to deliver an effective safe and compliant service
- developing influential relationships with suppliers and manage performance of local service delivery. Liaising closely with contract mangers and ensure all contract provisions are appropriately applied and managed
- coordinating and integrate in-house/outsourced service delivery ensuring local scientific demand is harmonised with corporate affordability
- providing specialist technical and professional advice to the organisation on asset creation, development and life cycle management
- leading the development and management of estates sustaining capital project program.
You will be educated to degree level in a subject such as surveying, engineering or construction, or demonstrate significant equivalent experience. Membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and British Institute of Facilities Management will be beneficial.
You will demonstrate experience of:
- estates management, with a strong focus on the delivery of hard FM services, including lifecycle management of infrastructure and project development, together with the ability to deploy these effectively and professionally
- providing strong leadership and management to a team with the ability to coach and develop high performing teams; preferably with successful track record at leadership level in estates and FM
- full lifecycle management of large service contracts including building strong supplier relationships, contractual compliance, performance and financial management
- delivering customer focused services, with the ability to build professional stakeholder relationships, influencing to achieve positive outcomes
- allocating resources and managing complex budgets; with an advanced commercial and financial acumen, able to create bottom up budgets, forecast and manage large £multi M budgets.
Experience of managing NEC3 contracts and implementing CAFM systems is desirable
You will have a strong understanding of Health & Safety, including legislative compliance across the hard FM services. You will have the ability to make and stand by complex decisions, taking measured risks when appropriate.
You will demonstrate outstanding team working and collaboration skills; with a strong focus on proactivity, positive solutions and continuous improvement.
What we offer
We take care of our employees by offering many benefits including:
- Employee Discount site
- Health screening
- Season Ticket Loan
- Rent Deposit Loan
- My Family Care
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone.
The closing date for applications is 29th April 2018 however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date. We reserve the right to close this vacancy early.