Job Title: Facilities Manager
Reports To: Head of Administration
Salary range of £34K-£38k depending on experience, plus generous pension
Hours of work: 35 Hours a week, with potential for some flexibility for the right candidate
Contract Term: 18 Month fixed term contract (with the possibility of extension)
Location: SKA HQ, Jodrell Bank, Cheshire, UK
Application deadline: 30th September 2018
Submission of applications: Send CV & cover letter to email@example.com
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is a global project to build a multi-purpose radio telescope that will play a major role in answering key questions in modern astrophysics and cosmology. Twelve governments are now participating in the project, with others engaged in discussions regarding possible membership. Facilities for the new telescope will ultimately be located in South Africa and Australia, with our headquarters in a purpose-built building at Jodrell Bank, Cheshire, UK. These headquarters have just undergone a major expansion with the construction of an extension to the existing building to accommodate the additional staff needed for the Construction and Operations phases of the SKA telescope.
Negotiations between the governments of SKA member countries to establish the SKA as an Inter-Governmental Organisation (IGO) have recently concluded; the IGO is expected to be established in late-2019 or early-2020.
The current office houses 79 personnel with construction of a new extension recently completed. The new combined facility will house up to 150 staff and visitors. At present our building is maintained by the University of Manchester and this is expected to continue until at least the end of 2019. Once the SKA is operational as an IGO, we will have full independence to choose the service provider.
We are seeking an experienced facilities management professional who will be responsible for both strategic planning and day-to-day operations in relation to buildings and premises, setting up of control, monitoring and reporting processes and the management of outsourced services providers.
Key Duties, Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Head of Administration, duties and areas of responsibility include:
- Co-ordinating snagging, defects correction and repairs under warranty with The University of Manchester;
- Planning and co-ordinating ongoing internal and external maintenance and safety checks, together with The University of Manchester (Landlord) and other stakeholders as required;
- Ensuring a safe and secure workplace environment without risk to health. This will cover all aspects of good Health & Safety practice at the SKA HQ;
- the safe and efficient operation of all premises-‐related utilities infrastructure, mechanical, electrical, heating services and other plant;
- Drawing up maintenance schedules and set routine programmes of work for cleaning staff, premises and grounds maintenance staff to ensure consistently high standards of hygiene, cleanliness, upkeep and safety of all school buildings and premises
- Managing the budgets for annual maintenance and minor works programmes and ensuring that these programmes are carried out successfully and within budget;
- Strategic planning for facilities management in the IGO-era (2020 onwards);
- Facilities contract management, i.e. the client side link with contracting staff. This will involve contributing to specifications, as well as letting and monitoring contracts and services and, where appropriate, certifying that work has been completed satisfactorily. Reviewing heating, electricity and water usage and to advise the Head of Administration on proposals for energy saving methods,
- Ordering and checking of invoices, monitoring of budgets and keeping stock records of all equipment and tools within the postholders’ sphere of responsibility,
- Recommending improvements to the SKA Headquarters buildings and estate;
- Undertaking any other reasonable duties as directed.
Mandatory Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge
- Relevant professional qualifications (facilities management/project management) - or equivalent experience;
- Managing post-construction activities in a large building facility;
- Developing building maintenance programmes and implementing them on time and within budget;
- Developing a Facilities Management strategy;
- Working with external consultants and contractors,
- Financial planning and negotiating skills with the ability to manage a budget;
- Knowledge of routine preventive maintenance;
- Demonstrable understanding of health and safety legislation, together with experience of protecting employee health and safety and in ensuring risks in the workplace are properly controlled;
- Computer literate, with a demonstrable proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office;
- Excellent communication and administrative skills;
- A proactive quality approach, including continuous improvement;
- Full driving license;
- Willingness to work outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends; and
- Ability to work with staff and teams from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge
- A successful record of working with public bodies, such as universities, local and national government departments, departments in the host countries etc;
- Category D1 driving licence;
- Up-to-date First Aid at Work Qualification, and
- IOSH /NEBOSH.
For more information on the SKA project visit our company website. SKA Organisation offers a competitive salary, generous company pension scheme and 30 days holiday as standard. The successful applicant’s workplace will be located at the SKA Office’s headquarters in Jodrell Bank Observatory.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter, including details of your current remuneration, to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference FM/01. Applications should include a summary of your project experience, detailing how you meet the essential and desirable knowledge, skills and experience criteria, and the details of three professional referees, one of whom must be your current employer (or most recent employer if not currently working).
Closing Date for applications: Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 30th September 2018.
When applying please state where you saw the vacancy advertised.
Equal Opportunities Statement
SKA Organisation is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Our aim to is recruit and retain the most talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or nationality.
At all stages of the recruitment process and beyond, we strive to treat applicants and employees with a high standard of care, honesty and politeness.
Women have traditionally been under-represented in the fields of science and engineering; SKA Organisation welcomes and encourages female applicants.
Where applicants with a disability need facilities or adjustments to enable them to participate in the recruitment process, these will be provided. If you need equipment or adjustments to enable you to complete your application and/or attend an interview then please let us know.
Apply for Facilities Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly