Health & Safety Coordinator (Interim)
Our client, a leading University, are now looking for a Health and Safety Coordinator to join their team on an interim basis. You will support the Operations Manager, in the delivery of efficient and effective health and safety, statutory compliance and operational support.
The Operations Team plays a key role, supporting all areas of the division, by either directly or through close liaison with other service partners:
- Ensuring the effective operation of building infrastructure
- Supporting all departments in the management of their health and safety obligations, providing coordination with the divisions Health and Safety Committee
- Overseeing the provision of all statutory maintenance and inspections ensuring that the Division remains compliant
- Negotiating and managing maintenance contracts for common laboratory equipment
- Liaising with Estates staff and contractors, providing access as appropriate
- Support Departmental Safety Officers and other staff to ensure that Risk Assessments, DSE assessments, Safety Inspections are in place, monitored and communicated as necessary.
- Support departmental or team based DSE assessors and act as DSE ‘expert’ for the Division.
- Monitor the Responsible Persons Register, ensuring that it remains accurate, and support departments in the appointment of Fire Evacuation Marshals and other key roles. Liaise with fire safety dept. to ensure that fire safety training and risk assessments are carried out.
- Ensure that new staff have a Health & Safety induction and that appropriate records are maintained.
- Service the Health and Safety Committee, including arranging meetings, collating and preparing agendas, writing and distributing minutes, and reporting on and monitoring actions.
- Act as the point of contact for Occupational Health Services regarding health surveillance programmes and monitoring
- Update all space allocations across the Division.
- Liaise with onsite maintenance issues and soft services.
- Regularly review and update the content of Emergency/Business Continuity Plans.
- Work closely with the Facilities Team to progress estates issues including minor works, refurbishment works and breakdown resolution.
- Develop and maintain a good operational knowledge of all Divisional buildings and understanding of the research activities and related Health and Safety issues associated with working in a laboratory environment.
- Work as a collaborative and committed member of the Divisional Operations Team, building and maintaining good working relationships within the team and colleagues across the Division of Biosciences and the wider community, in particular Estates, Security and Safety.
- Undertake additional administrative duties, including but not limited to, writing/editing reports, to support the work of the Operations Team Manager
- Health & Safety and/or Facilities qualification. E.g. NEBOSH, BIFM (or studying towards)
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and requirements and H&S risk assessments
- Experience in dealing with estate, facilities and services issues preferably in higher education or an academic environment
Maxwell Stephens is expecting a large volume of applications for this role. We’re keen to place the correct person with our client as soon as possible. Therefore, we encourage all interested FM professionals with the experience to successful expedite this role to contact us without delay.
Please call 0207 118 48 48 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.